Thursday, November 26, 2015

traditional day

Happy Thanksgiving!  I have much to be thankful for this year.  Some things are unexpected.  Some things are not.  It's traditional for everyone to say those two words on this day, but I guess I ask myself, "why aren't we thankful (verbally anyway) all of the other 364 days of the year?"

It's a researched and well known fact that those people that adopt a consistent "attitude of gratitude" all of the rest of the days of the year are more joyful people.  They look at life through the lens of the glass half full, instead of half empty.  Even the Almighty stopped at the end of each day of creation and "saw that it was good".

As I was talking to my "tall, dark, and handsome" this morning, I mentioned that life is so much a battle of the mind.  And the only way to win that battle is to choose to renew it with the spiritual food of God's word on a daily basis and to talk to God that way too.

Couldn't we make gratitude a daily goal instead of just once a year?  Would there be less stress?  Less arguments?  Less loneliness?  Less strife?  Maybe even less war and more peace.

Prayer:  Almighty and gracious God, help me to see life through the lens of gratitude, through the eyes of Jesus instead of through my selfish "I don't have enough" eyes.  Help me to hold on to grace.  Grace that is freely given even in the midst of me not acknowledging anything that I'm grateful for.  Oh Lord, pull me closer to your heart, to your side and to your thoughts.  Help me not to be selfish but practice a new tradition of being grateful for your constant care.

No comments:

Post a Comment