Sunday, November 29, 2015

rest

By definition rest is.. "to cease to work or movement in order to relax, refresh oneself,  or to restore strength".  But is this only referring to the physical definition?  What about the rest for the soul?  the spirit?  In Matthew 11:28 and 29 Jesus said, "Come to me, all you who are burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart and you will find rest for your souls".  And then in the Old Testament, God says, "Truly my soul finds rest in God; my salvation comes from him."  Psalm 62:1 and lastly from Hebrews 4:10, Paul writes "...for anyone who enters Gods's rest also rests from their works, just as God did from his".

So....first rest is a choice.  God even made this choice to do this on the seventh day.  So He is a model for us.  If we are to follow His lead, then rest is something that we can make a choice to do.
Secondly, Jesus invites us to make this choice by coming to Him when we need rest the most....when we are burdened.  I think that's physically, spiritually, emotionally or mentally or all of the above.  He goes on to say that He will "give" the rest.  It's something that we receive, not something we DO.  One can also make the inference that Jesus gives a kind of rest that is personally designed for each individual, depending on the person, the season of life and the need of your spirit and/or mind.
 Lastly, from the Old Testament passage it uses the word "truly".  God doesn't lie and He is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow.  So if the Bible says "truly" it means "surely" or to put it in terms that I can grasp, "for sure".   So....I can surely receive/find the rest that I need in God.  Salvation - wholeness, health, peace and rest--comes from Him.

So...to begin....we can choose to cease to work or move in order to relax or refresh oneself.  Then we can be open to receive the rest we need.  That too is a choice.   Then we are to "Come to Jesus".  There's choice again.  Prayer....coming to Jesus with our need.  He then can fill us with His salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment